What is your favorite holiday? Thanksgiving is mine because of the family traditions my aunts, uncles and parents worked so hard to create. It is the one time each year my scattered extended family gather in one place.
If you are spending the Thanksgiving break locally or aren't headed out of town until later in the week, there are some great events this weekend to get you out and about. There are events inside and outside for young and old across the Gulf Coast, from theater in Fairhope to a food truck festival in Pensacola and everything in between.
If our list missed the mark for you, visit our event calendar at GulfCoastMedia.com for more events happening this weekend or beyond. Search for events by distance from your home city or vacation spot.
A Fairhope Nutcracker
- What: The Children's Dance Theatre presents "A Fairhope Nutcracker," the first performance of a future annual tradition. Bring your family and friends and enjoy a holiday classic. Tickets can be purchased by visiting https://30743.encoreticketing.com.
- When: Friday, Nov. 17, 6-8 p.m.
- Where: Fairhope Civic Center, 348 Oak St., Fairhope
- Price: Tickets range from $10-$20
National Take a Hike Day
- What: Celebrate National Take a Hike Day and get out and about with a guided hike through Meaher State Park with the naturalist.
- When: Friday, Nov. 17, 4:15-5:15 p.m.
- Where: Meaher State Park. The meeting point is at the parking lot of the Gateway to the Delta
- Price: Free for overnight guests and $3 park entry fee for other guests ages 12 and up
Build A Birdhouse
- What: Build a birdhouse with Ms. Ruth at the Eastern Shore Ace Hardware. Each participant receives a birdhouse kit, paint and use of tools. Hang the masterpiece in your backyard or give it as a Christmas gift. Sign up at the store.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 18, 10 a.m.
- Where: Eastern Shore Ace Hardware, 6530 Spanish Fort Blvd., Spanish Fort
- Price: $21 entry includes kit, apron and personal instruction.
Summerdale Christmas Concert
- What: After a three-year hiatus, the Summerdale Christmas Concert returns to kick off the 2023 holiday season. Concert musicians and vocalists will perform a variety of Christmas music followed by refreshments and a raffle. Money raised from the event benefits the Marjorie Younce Snook Public Library and library improvements.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 18, 5:30 p.m.
- Where: Summerdale Municipal Building, 502 W. Lee Ave., Summerdale
- Price: Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students. Tickets can be purchased by visiting Eventbrite.com.
Pensacola Fall Food Truck Festival
- What: Start Thanksgiving break with a day in Pensacola for the Fall Food Truck Festival. A variety of food trucks, vendors, live music and activities will be fun for the whole family.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 18, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Where: Community Maritime Park, 301 W. Main St., Pensacola
- Price: General admission tickets are $5 children under 12 are free
Baldwin Writers Group Monthly Meeting
- What: Are you interested in writing? Join the Baldwin Writers Group and spend time with like-minded residents.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 18, 10-11:30 a.m.
- Where: Daphne Public Library, 2607 U.S. Highway 98, Daphne
- Price: Free
- What: Over 50 local vendors will be joined by local food trucks for a day of shopping. Find some special gifts for those in your life.
- When: Sunday, Nov. 19, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: Historic Malbis Nursery, 10145 U.S. Highway 90, Daphne
- Price: Free to attend