GULF SHORES, Ala - The City of Gulf Shores would like to make all residents and visitors aware of the following parking and traffic flow modifications at Gulf Place, the city's main public beach area, related to the SEC BeachFest.
- All parking areas on the east side of Gulf Place are now closed. Normal vehicular and pedestrian traffic flow continues through this area.
- On Tuesday, Aug. 13 at 11:59 p.m., all vehicular and pedestrian access to the east side of Gulf Place will be restricted.
- On Wednesday, Aug. 14 at 11:59 p.m., all vehicular and pedestrian access to the parking areas within Gulf Place will be restricted.
- All normal traffic conditions will resume on Tuesday, Aug. 20 at 6 a.m.
- On Wednesday, Aug. 14, access to the central and east portions of the public beach area at Gulf Place will be restricted.
- All other public beach access points will be uninterrupted and will remain open to the public, including the western portion of the public beach area at Gulf Place.
- All public beaches will return to normal use on Monday, Aug. 19.
For more information regarding detours or closures, please contact City Hall at 251-968-2425.
Latest guest information for upcoming SEC BeachFest:
Clad in crimson and white, orange and blue and a rainbow of other school colors, these Southeastern Conference (SEC) football fans will descend upon Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, Ala., for the second annual SEC BeachFest from Aug. 15-18. Event organizers wish to pass along several key pieces of information to ensure a wonderful experience.
- · The box office hours are Friday from 10 a.m. – 9 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- FanZone Fueled by BP opens Friday at 4 p.m., Saturday at 9 a.m. and Sunday at 10 a.m. The event closes Sunday at 3 p.m.
- View the SEC BeachFest site and area map to see the location of all events.
- In addition to the latest update from the City of Gulf Shores, guests may park to the west of Alvin’s Island near The Hangout for $5 per vehicle per day. There is no shuttle service at this year’s event.
- Leave large bags and prohibited items at home to expedite the entry and possible search process. SEC BeachFest fans may bring baby strollers or small wagons for toddlers, one empty water container up to 2 liters in size per guest and empty camel packs. Find a complete list of acceptable and prohibited items at http://secbeachfest.com/tickets/.
Also, registration for the free kids’ fishing tournament on the Gulf State Park Pier for kids 15 and under recently expanded to the charter office at Zeke’s Marina.
Highlights at this year’s event include:
- 19 Legendary Coaches and Players: Gene Stallings (Alabama), Pat Dye (Auburn), Vince Dooley (Georgia), Bill Curry (Kentucky), Jerry Stovall (LSU), Billy Brewer (Ole Miss), Houston Nutt (Ole Miss and Arkansas), Phillip Fulmer (Tennessee), R.C. Slocum (Texas A&M) and Bobby Johnson (Vanderbilt). Legendary Players include Roger Schultz (Alabama), Matt Jones (Arkansas), Ben Leard (Auburn), Chris Doering (Florida), David Greene (Georgia), Howard Schnellenberger (Kentucky), Jake Gibbs (Ole Miss), Inky Johnson (Tennessee) and Bucky Richardson (Texas A&M)
- Three SEC Heisman Trophy Winners: Herschel Walker (Georgia Bulldogs), George Rogers (South Carolina Gamecocks) and Billy Cannon (LSU Tigers)
- FanZone Fueled by BP
- Golf scramble
- Alumni happy hours
- SEC BeachFest Fishing Challenge
- Kids’ pier fishing tournament
- 5K and one-mile fun run
- Concerts on the beach featuring Rodney Atkins on Saturday night with Marc Broussard taking the stage on Friday night
- Mascot pavilion
- CSS Legends Interview Series
General weekend passes to BeachFest are $25, and VIP tickets are $199. As part of Sweet Home Saving, an Alabama statewide campaign taking place during the month of August, two children (10 and under) will be admitted free with a paying adult presenting a valid Alabama driver’s license.
All events are weather-dependent, and guests may locate updated information on the event’s website, Facebook page or Twitter feed.
For more information about SEC BeachFest, special sponsor offers, tickets or to sign up for the golf and fishing tournaments or 5K, visit www.secbeachfest.com