Spring has officially sprung, and Easter events are popping up all over along with some other great happenings you shouldn’t miss. The top five event picks for this weekend range from bunny hunt to Zen gardens and from Pensacola to Mobile. Get a jump on Easter fun with the Cottontail Express at Wales West or take a hike and hunt bunnies at Graham Creek Nature Preserve. If you enjoy limited edition events visit NAS Pensacola, the Elberta Sausage Festival or the Festival of Flowers. There is never a dull moment on the Gulf Coast.
If our top picks aren’t what you are looking for, visit the event calendar at GulfCoastMedia.com for more happenings across the Gulf Coast.
Cottontail Express at Wales West
- What: Guests will ride Dame Ann, an authentic steam locomotive down to the bunny hutch to visit and take pictures with the Easter Bunny, hunt Easter eggs and complete an easter craft. Refreshments, mini train rides, hay-less hayride, playground, and bounce house are also included in your tickets. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit waleswest.com.
- When: Every Saturday and Sunday through April 8, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Closed Easter Sunday
- Where: 13670 Smiley St., Silverhill
- Price: Tickets are $20, and children two and under are free.
Festival of Flowers: Zen Gardens
- What: The 30th annual Festival of Flowers will showcase gardens of Japanese influence by lead designer, Dale Speetjens of Shipshape Urban Farms. Enter the Torii gates, glimpse Mount Fuji in a mural, stroll through a tranquil bamboo forest and see the historical evolution of Japanese gardening as you visit six gardens and so much more. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit festivalofflowers.com.
- When: Thursday, March 23 through Sunday, March 26, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Ascension Providence Hospital Campus, 6801 Airport Blvd., Mobile
- Price: Ticket prices range from $5 to $15.
Elberta German Sausage Festival
- What: The semiannual Elberta Sausage Festival returns to Elberta Town Park. The event attracts up to 20,000 visitors who line up to purchase the famous German sausage. While eating enjoy live music, shop the 250 arts and crafts vendors and ride a carnival ride or two.
- When: Saturday, March 25, from 8 a.m.
- Where: Elberta Town Park, 13052 Main St., Elberta
Price: Free to attend
Naval Air Station Pensacola Weekend Access
- What: Spend a day exploring the National Naval Aviation Museum and Pensacola Lighthouse. Naval Air Station Pensacola will open to the public through the West Gate for two days only. Once parking is full, public access will close until more parking becomes available so arrive early. All guests 18 and older must have a valid state or federal photo ID.
- When: Saturday, March 25, and Sunday, March 26, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: 1750 Radford Blvd., Pensacola, Florida
- Price: The museum is free to visit, Lighthouse admission ranges from $6.50 to $15
- What: Hop around Graham Creek and Wolf Creek Parks searching for hidden bunnies. There are 12 bunnies hidden around Graham Creek Preserve and three hidden at Wolf Creek Park. Pick up your scorecard at Graham Creek starting March 24. The hunt ends April 2.
- When: Saturday, March 25 through Sunday, April 2
- Where: 23030 Wolf Bay Drive, Foley
- Price: Free to attend