The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced at a news conference the upcoming hurricane season will be near normal and predicts a high chance for El Nino to form. According to the …
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced at a news conference the upcoming hurricane season will be near normal and predicts a high chance for El Nino to form.
According to the NOAA forecasters, there is a 40 percent chance of a near-normal season, a 30 percent chance of an above-normal season and a 30 percent chance of a below-normal season.
Hurricane season begins June 1 and ends Nov. 30, and it is predicted to have about 12 to 17 named storms with winds of 39 miles per hour or higher. Out of these named storms, five to nine could turn into hurricanes with winds of 74 miles per hour or higher, including one to four major hurricanes that could become Category 3, 4 or 5.
Compared to the 2022 hurricane season, this year is expected to be less active.
Deputy Secretary of Commerce Don Graves announced in a news conference the 2022 hurricane season saw 14 storms, three of those resulting in hurricanes that caused a collective $117 billion in damage.
NOAA Administrator Rick Spinrad, Ph.D., shared in a news conference FEMA has released a new model that is faster and more efficient in forecasting storms. Developed by NOAA researchers, the Hurricane Analysis Forecast System provides up to a 15 percent improvement in track and intensity forecast over existing models.
During a news conference, FEMA Administrator Deanne Criswell suggested three things that individuals should do to prepare for a hurricane. These include knowing what your risk is to take the appropriate measures to protect your family, knowing how you are going to get information and making an emergency plan.
Criswell also recommends individuals download FEMA, NOAA and National Weather Service apps to stay up to date with information about potential storms.
To learn more about how you can prepare for hurricane season, visit gulfcoastmedia.com/magazines.