The Gulf Shores City Council passed an ordinance approving an amendment to the Golf Cart Ordinance allowing golf carts to operate on certain city streets in the Ventura subdivision.
Cart operations are limited to streets that have a speed limit of 25 miles per hour or less and have been specifically designated as streets where cart operation is allowed between sunrise and 10 p.m.
Golf cart owners are required to go through a safety inspection by the Gulf Shores Police Department before owners are issued a permit sticker. Owners are required to hold proper insurance as well as the following safety equipment:
- Seat belts (lap or shoulder)
- Head lights
- Brake lights
- Turn signals front and rear
- Rear view mirror or side mirrors
- Operable brakes
- Steering wheel
- Tires in good condition
- Front and rear red reflectors
- Slow moving vehicle reflector tape on bottom rear bumper
- Orange warning flag six feet above the ground
Golf Cart Streets added in Aventura:
- Stafford Boulevard
- Aldrin Avenue
- Conrad Court
- Borman Court
- Borman Loop
- Roosa Avenue
- Pogue Street
- Worden Street
- Landward Drive North
- Landward Drive South
- Haise Lane
- Gemini Street
- Mercury Circle
During the regular session, the council:
- Approved a public assembly permit for the LuLu’s presents Doc’s Hot Trot for ARC 5k and 1 mile fun run.
- Rescheduled the business license revocation hearing for the Gulf Shores Landfill, LLC for Sept. 27
- Passed a resolution accepting the bid of Southern Lighting and Traffic Systems in the amount of $56,800 for traffic signal poles and mast arms for the intersection of East 2nd Street and Highway 182.
- Passed a resolution accepting the bid of McElhenney Construction, LLC to assist the Public Works Department with citywide drainage maintenance in an amount not to exceed $150,000.
- Passed a resolution authorizing execution of a professional services contract with Barge Design Solutions to complete a study of the various drainage infrastructure surrounding Jack Edwards Airport in an amount not to exceed $20,375.
- Passed a resolution approving and authorizing execution of an independent administrative service agreement with Hart Halsey LLC doing business as Extra Duty Solutions to administer outside employment services for the Gulf Shores Police Department.
- Passed a resolution amending employee handbook for the city of Gulf Shores by rewriting the entire section entitled Secondary Jobs.
- Passed a resolution approving and directing the demolition of a private structure located at 300 Sunrise Drive, Gulf Shores deemed unsafe and a public nuisance. The owner has 30 days from Sept. 13 to obtain permits, demolish and remove the structure. At the end of the 30 days, if the property owner has not completed the removal, the city council authorizes Steiner Services to remove the structure in an amount not to exceed $12,000.