If you follow Gulf Coast Media on Instagram, you may have seen a poll about Christmas decorating. The annual debate of decorating for Christmas before Thanksgiving or after is a hot topic.
Where do you fall on the topic? Historically, I am a Christmas everything after Thanksgiving, but I did already put up my outdoor lights and put my tree up (although it is not decorated yet, and the outside lights have not been powered).
If you aren't busy putting up your holiday décor this weekend, we have a list of events happening you will not want to miss. Kick off the weekend with songwriters around the Gulf Coast or take in a film or two at the Fairhope Film Festival. When it comes to indulgent events, you have the choice between the Coastal Alabama Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival or the Cheese & Chocolate Festival. Better yet, go to both!
If our list missed the mark for you, visit our event calendar at GulfCoastMedia.com for more events happening this weekend or beyond. Search for events by distance from your home city or vacation spot.
Annual Frank Brown International Songwriters' Festival
- What: For 39 years, the Frank Brown International Songwriters' Festival has welcomed songwriters from around the World to share their talents with the Gulf Coast music-loving community. Enjoy more than 175 artists, 210 performances on 31 music stages. For more information or to see the schedule, visit www.frankbrownsongwriters.com.
- When: Thursday, Nov. 9, through Sunday, Nov. 19, times vary
- Where: Various locations
Fairhope Film Festival
- What: The 11th-annual Fairhope Film Festival brings four days of films and events to various venues in downtown Fairhope. Listen to panels moderated by industry insiders, rub elbows with movie buffs and directors. To see what movies are showing or to purchase tickets, visit www.fairhopefilmfestival.org.
- When: Thursday, Nov. 9, through Sunday, Nov. 12, times vary
- Where: Various locations
- Price: Ticket prices start at $15
Foley Rotary Oyster 5K
- What: The Annual Oyster Run benefits local charities such as Alabama Sheriff's Boys Ranch, the Jennifer Claire-Moore Foundation, Ecumenical Ministries among others. For more information or to register, visit www.runsignup.com.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 11, 8-11 a.m.
- Where: Orange Blossom Square, 121 W. Orange Ave., Foley
- Price: Entry for the fun run is $15 and the 5K is $25
Coastal Alabama Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival
- What: Popular food trucks will fill the Gulf Shores Town Green for the second-annual Coastal Alabama Food Truck & Craft Beer Festival. A big selection of craft beer will also be available for purchase. For more information or to purchase drink tickets, visit www.foodtruckfestivalsofamerica.com.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 11, and Sunday, Nov. 12, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: Town Green, 101 Gulf Shores Parkway, Gulf Shores
- Price: Drink ticket packages start at $18
Chocolate & Cheese Festival
- What: Spend a day enjoying two of life's treats: chocolate and cheese. This annual festival includes entertainment, games, food and crafts. The event is fun for the whole family. For more information or to purchase tickets, visit www.beachlifeevents.com.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Where: Heritage Park, 125 E. Laurel Ave., Foley
- Price: Admission tickets are $5
2023 Holiday Market
- What: Tick a few more gifts off your list after a visit to the annual Holiday Market. Over 100 vendors selling everything from crafts to baked goods will take over the Baldwin County Coliseum.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 11, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Baldwin County Coliseum, 19477 Fairground Road, Robertsdale
Living History Festival
- What: Experience life in the 18th century at Colonial Fort Conde. See how everyday chores were completed in the 18th century as well as learn about how they protected themselves. It is a fun way for the family to experience history.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Fort Conde, 101 Church St., Mobile
- Price: Free to attend