The school year is over, Memorial Day weekend is here, and it is time to get your summer started. This weekend is a time to remember those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom and there are many ways to do so. Our list of weekend events ranges from s'mores on the beach to fireworks. If our list of weekend events doesn't hit the spot, visit the Event Calendar at GulfCoastMedia.com for more.
While you are enjoying the beach, boating and celebrating this weekend, remember to stay safe.
S'mores on the Shore
- What: Campfires, music and s'mores will be the scene as the city of Gulf Shores hosts S'mores on the Shore. Pack up your chairs and blankets and enjoy this free event that includes s'more packets, a live DJ and a balloon artist.
- When: Thursday, May 25, at 6 p.m.
- Where: Gulf Place Public Beach, 101 Gulf Shores Pkwy., Gulf Shores
- Price: Free
Americans and the Holocaust Exhibition
- What: School may be out for the summer but that is no reason to stop expanding your mind. The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and the American Library Association present Americans and the Holocaust, a traveling exhibition that examines the motives, pressures, and fears that shaped Americans' responses to Nazism, war and genocide in Europe during the 1030s and 1940s. Guided tours are available by appointment. For more information or to schedule a tour for your family, visit www.mobilepubliclibrary.org.
- When: Monday through Fridays until June 23, during regular library hour
- Where: Ben May Main Library, 701 Government St., Mobile
- Price: Free
Memorial Day Weekend Party
- What: OWA Park and Resorts had an entire weekend of fun planned for Memorial Day weekend and not all events require park admission. Party in the foam, enjoy lawn games, take part in a scavenger hunt and meet Tuki Friday night or dive into a movie and see Moana on the big screen at the Wave Pool (General Admission to Tropic Falls required). Each day, all weekend long, there is something to enjoy. Visit www.visitowa.com for a schedule of events.
- When: Friday, May 26, from 4 to 8 p.m., Saturday, May 27, from 2 to 9 p.m., Sunday, May 28, from 2 to 9 p.m.
- Where: OWA Parks and Resort, 101 S. OWA Blvd., Foley
Spend a day with the family enjoying food, fun and music at LuLu's. While the adults are having a cocktail and relaxing to music the children can enjoy the arcade and ropes course.
Saturday, May 27, noon to 8 p.m.
LuLu's Gulf Shores, 200 E. 25th Ave., Gulf Shores
Pop into summer at The Wharf
- What: Kick off summer vacation at The Wharf with a family-friendly street party. Listen to live music, enjoy a variety of children's activities like camel rides, reptile show and bounce houses and then end with a fireworks show. Visit www.alwharf.com/events for more information.
- When: Sunday, May 28, from 5 to 9 p.m.
- Where: The Wharf, 23101 Canal Road, Orange Beach
- Price: Free to attend but activity prices vary